Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cornbread Salad--the best around!



  • 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 4 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped (if I have yellow or orange, I add a bit of those in as well)
  • 1 red onion, chopped or you can also use about 5 scallions -- both work great, whatever you have on hand, go with it!
  • 4 heaping Tbsp. WICKLES pickle relish
  • 9 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 cup mayonaise
  • 1/4 cup WICKLES pickle juice (from the WICKLES pickles, not the relish)
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar

~~Bake cornbread as directed on box. Two boxes will make 12 big corn muffins, and I use about 9 of those for the recipe, and feed the other 3 to my kids!!! You can do as you wish....or bring those 3 over to my kids, when you have extra! :)

Mix tomatoes, peppers, onion and pickle relish together. Add crumbled bacon to vegetables. Mix mayonaise, pickle juice, sugar and vinegar until well blended. Layer 1/2 cornbread crumbled, then 1/2 vegetable mixture, and then 1/2 dressing. Repeat with a second layer of each. Chill overnight!

I always save a handful of cornbread crumbs and a spoonful of veggies to garnish the top before serving. It just looks better to me than a bland layer of dressing on top!

***And no, you don't have to use WICKLES pickles, I'm just telling you they are the best and make it taste oh.so.divine. But any sweet pickle relish will work. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by to say hi!