Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Almond Chess Squares


As I stated in the Cooking Camp post for this dish on our family blog.....

"I can't even begin to tell you the worth of these.....they're almost as rich as Oprah. "

Now, you know you want to make a batch right this minute just to see if I'm telling the whole truth and nothing but. Go ahead. It'll only take a few minutes. Easy. And I bet you have all the ingredients on hand already anyway.

  • 1 yellow cake mix (we always use the butter recipe kind)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 stick of butter, melted

~~Combine these 3 ingredients and press into the bottom f a 9 x 13 inch pan. However, after several batches of these delicious goodies, I decided I liked it better to make them in a larger bar type pan. I think the measurements are like 11 x 15 or something. Just makes them thinner, and not so much cake like crust to overpower the filling.

  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 box powdered sugar (we usually use a little less than the whole box)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp. almond flavoring (this makes them taste so good---we love using almond flavoring for everything...this is what we use often to replace vanilla in other recipes.)

~~Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Mix cream cheese, sugar and eggs with a mixer until well blended. Pour over the first layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Just watch the last 5 minutes or so and make sure you don't burn the top. You can sprinkle with a light dusting of powdered sugar if you like. Allow them to cool completely and then cut into squares.

  • We love serving them with caramel drizzled across the top and a squirt of cream topping. I'm telling you......go to the pantry right now and gather your ingredients up. You can thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. Found you through Kelly's recipe share. Those look absolutely wonderful!!! I might have to try them soon :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by to say hi!